By Henry Buchwald MD PhD, George S. M. Cowan Jr. MD, Walter J. Pories MD
Leaders within the box current cutting-edge so much finished insurance of bariatric surgical procedure, some of the most promising present remedies for the starting to be international epidemic of obese and weight problems. This fresh source starts with a via exam of the heritage, occurrence, demography, etiology, biology, comorbidities, sturdiness, and social and fiscal implications of weight problems. It then discusses pre-, peri-, and postoperative problems with value prior to reading the evolution of bariatric techniques. person chapters current the easiest surgical methods, their results, and different concerns concerned with this surgical approach.
- Presents a entire evaluation of the whole box of bariatric surgical procedure, in addition to a wide dialogue of serious non-operative themes.
- Discusses the evolution of bariatric methods, by means of person chapters that research laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding, vertical banded gastroplasty, the banded gastric pass, and different surgical ways.
- Reviews the results of bariatric surgical procedure with recognize to food, diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, orthopedic stipulations, and metabolism.
- Offers tips on useful and educational education of the bariatric general practitioner, sufferer aid teams, the significance of the multidisciplinary workforce, controlled care, allied health and wellbeing, laparoscopic suites and robotics, legal responsibility concerns, and extra.
- Includes nutritional, drug administration, and different replacement non-operative ways.
- Addresses the transforming into prevalence of adolescence weight problems with a bankruptcy concentrating on adolescent bariatric surgical procedure patients.
With ninety one extra contributing specialists.
Read Online or Download Surgical Management of Obesity PDF
Best gastroenterology books
Liver affliction is a frequent and extending challenge during the international, in spite of the fact that little is released on how differing kinds and levels of liver disorder impact the body's skill to address drugs. "Drugs and the Liver" is designed to help practitioners in making pragmatic offerings for his or her sufferers.
Nice advances have taken position in simple learn and the scientific usefulness of dendritic cells (DCs). It has now been truly demonstrated, for example, that those cells play an important function in immune responses opposed to infectious ailments and cancers. Antigen-presenting DCs are greatly allotted within the physique and control either immunity and immune tolerance.
Whilst first released in 1985, Sympathy and technological know-how used to be hailed as a groundbreaking examine of girls in drugs. It continues to be the main complete historical past of yankee ladies physicians on hand. Tracing the participation of ladies within the scientific occupation from the colonial interval to the current, Regina Morantz-Sanchez examines women's roles as nurses, midwives, and practitioners of people medication in early the USA; recounts their profitable struggles within the 19th century to go into clinical colleges and located their very own associations and organisations; and follows girl physicians into the 20th century, exploring their efforts to maintain major and lucrative expert lives with out sacrificing the opposite privileges and possibilities of womanhood.
This multi-authored publication includes short chapters dedicated to one or particular questions or judgements in colon and rectal surgical procedure which are tough or debatable. it's a present and well timed reference resource for working towards surgeons, surgeons in education, and educators that describes the urged excellent method, instead of standard care, in chosen scientific occasions.
- Atlas of Gastrointestinal Surgery (Two-Volume Set) (Books)
- Multidisciplinary Teaching Atlas of the Pancreas: Radiological, Surgical, and Pathological Correlations
- Foodborne Diseases (Infectious Disease)
- A Colour Handbook of Gastroenterology
- Paediatric Gastroenterology (Atlas of Investigation and Management)
- Oxford Case Histories in Gastroentrology and Hepatology (Oxford Case Histories)
Extra info for Surgical Management of Obesity
50. Chagnon YC, Rankinen T, Snyder EE, et al: The human obesity gene map: the 2002 update. Obes Res 2003;11:313-367. 51. Bouchard C, Tremblay A, Despres JP, et al: The response to long-term overfeeding in identical twins. N Engl J Med 1990;322: 1477-1482. 52. Bouchard C, Tremblay A, Despres JP, et al: The response to exercise with constant energy intake in identical twins. Obes Res 1994;2:400-410. 53. Bouchard C, Perusse L, Rice T, et al: Genetics of human obesity. In Bray GA, Bouchard C (eds): Handbook of Obesity, ed 2.
Few cross-cultural analyses have examined perceptions about body weight. However, those that have suggest that most cultures in the world value moderate fatness and not extreme thinness. The male body ideal is most often related to “bigness” (large structure and muscularity) but not necessarily to fatness. In women, increased body weight and girths have been viewed as signs of health, reproductive health, and prosperity. This is still the case in many cultures. In contrast, in many industrialized countries, thinness in women has come to symbolize competence, success, control, and sexual attractiveness, whereas obesity represents laziness, selfindulgence, and lack of willpower.
Wannamethee SG, Shaper AG: Alcohol, body weight, and weight gain in middle-aged men. Am J Clin Nutr 2003;77:1312-1317. 47. Breum L, Fernstrom MH: Drug-induced obesity. In Bjorntorp P (ed): International Textbook of Obesity. Chichester, UK, John Wiley, 2001. 48. Lee JH, Reed DR, Price RA: Familial risk ratios for extreme obesity: implications for mapping human obesity genes. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1997;21:935-940. 49. Katzmarzyk PT, Perusse L, Rao DC, et al: Familial risk of obesity and central adipose tissue distribution in the general Canadian population.
Surgical Management of Obesity by Henry Buchwald MD PhD, George S. M. Cowan Jr. MD, Walter J. Pories MD